Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend In Harmons

Hey Everybody! This is Tim coming to you from Harmons, Jamaica and I’m going to tell you about my amazing awesome weekend. Ready? Let’s go!

So, the weekend began like any other, getting up and getting the team ready to leave for Ocho Rios. The only difference was this time, I wasn’t going with them. This weekend I stayed behind in Harmons to support the Harmons U-15 soccer club, which I help out (with the help of the gear the groups of Americans bring down.) I help get them gear such as boots, shin guards etc…so they can play not only well, but safe, and look well doing it. So anyway, one of the stipulations was that I couldn’t stay in the Harmony House that night, I would have to find a Jamaican to stay with. I first I asked Little John, who works for Won By One to Jamaica, who at first said “No” but, he said he could help me find a place to stay. He ended up finding a place for me at a very nice lady named Gloria’s house, who also works for Won By One to Jamaica as a cook. After the team left, I made my way up to Gloria’s place with Little John and I was welcomed with open arms. Gloria was so accommodating to me that it made me a little misty eyed to be honest. She made a breakfast which I did not really expect, but I’m glad I got to get it because it was DELICIOUS! It was a meal consisting of mackerel, fried plantains, and bananas. After breakfast we sat around and talked for a while about numerous subjects. We got caught up talking about hurricanes for a while and Gloria told me about preparations they make to their houses and what happens after hurricanes…it was all very interesting. So, after that, Little John and I made our way to Porus, where the event for the soccer teams was being held. Porus is about ten miles from Harmons so we got a ride there in a Taxi. When we arrived (which was about 11:30, and the event didn’t start until around 2:30) Little John showed me around Porus. He was very familiar with the area because he went to high school there so, of course, he gave me a tour of his old high school. I was surprised to find that it was very similar to an American classroom, I don’t know why that surprised me…a classroom is a classroom I guess, but nevertheless, I was surprised. It was really cool to see Little John give me the tour, he got really excited about showing me it and he had a sense of pride about showing me around telling me what classes he had in this room and what teacher taught in that room. He even gave me a brief lesson in Jamaican history when I saw a mural on a wall with past Prime Ministers on it. Again, it was very interesting. We then went to a small restaurant where I had my first experience with curried goat. It was very good food! I found goat meat to be really sweet and tender…I wouldn’t mind having more right now…I better stop, I’m making myself hungry.

So, after all of that, the soccer event finally started. The league that Harmons plays in starts their season with a dress parade where every team is present and they get judged by which team looks the best. I’m very proud to report that the Harmons team won, and they did so with tons of dignity too. In the hall where in was held, all the teams were lined up and waiting to be judged. A lot of the other teams there were very lackadaisical in their lines. The kids were talking to one another and being very unorganized. Our Harmons boys were quite the opposite. They stood there like professionals; hand’s behind their backs and eyes forward. More importantly there was no talking. After they were judged they relaxed and sat down of course. After that I was asked to give a speech to the team. I was very taken off guard and stumbled over my words for a few sentences but after I going, I started saying how this (winning the dress parade) was just the beginning to a great season. I just want to add that their first game is Tuesday July 15th, so say a special prayer for them when you get the chance. After all the festivities that go along with the dress parade, Little John and I came back to Harmons where we stayed up for a while watching the Jamaican news channel and a little bit of the Miss Universe Pageant.

So, that was the gist of my weekend living in Harmons. I just want to add that soccer to me is the universal language. Any language barrier, any culture differences can be absolutely demolished by a soccer ball and 4 willing feet to kick it around, and I find that absolutely amazing.

Timothy : )

No comments: