Sunday, June 15, 2008

Family Matters


Hey everyone, its Tayler. This is pretty exciting because it’s the first time I’ve ever blogged. Woo Hoo!

It being Fathers Day and all, I thought it would be appropriate for me to write about something that has been on my mind a lot lately: family. For me and my fellow staffers, coming to Harmons this summer meant saying goodbye to many close friends, loved ones, and family members. As hard as it was to say goodbye, surprisingly enough what we found upon arrival was a new kind of family made up of eight crazy college students chasing after God’s heart in Jamaica.

I’m not quite sure when it happened, but somewhere between the awkward introductions, endless card games, and walks around Harmons, the eight of us have fallen in step with each other in such a way that its almost hard to believe we have only known each other for three weeks. As I write this I can hear laughter drifting in from the staff meeting room, a sound that often fills the halls of the Harmony house when we all get together.

Like any other family, ours is not perfect and is actually quite odd at times. We have laughed, cried, prayed, cooked, sweat, cleaned, done laundry, played games, and even fought off killer (not actually) insects together. All these invaluable countless moments have brought us together and enabled us to live in such close proximity enjoyably. Not to say that every moment has been perfect, but at the end of the day it comes down to the fact that we are all here for the same reason, and that’s enough to get past any differences or difficulties we may have.

This past week in May Pen especially has brought us together even closer, and I loved being able to work alongside my family all week demonstrating God’s love and grace. Working together on Vanessa’s house got me thinking about the bigger picture of God’s family too. Before we even met each other, the eight of us were already part of the same family. God chose to bring the eight of us together this summer and build literal relationships and bonds, but even before that the bond of being a part of God’s family is one that we already shared. Being part of the staff this summer has taught me a lot about family, big and small picture. The gifts and abilities that each of us possess contributes to the value and functioning of the whole. That’s the same way it works in God’s family, which is something that we are trying to enlarge through our work here this summer. I guess this is just my way of publically thanking God for the blessing of family in my life, big and small : )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tayler -- what a great profile on you! You described the group in such an amazing way! I am loving the profiles, loving the videos and loving getting to know each of you! All of your names are mentioned in many prayers from many people! God bless!

Erin and Josh said...

hey, awesome thoughts tayler. josh is right: you guys are stellar!

Unknown said...

tayyyyy :)

i loved your post and im so happy for your new found family :) there isnt a day that goes by that im not praying for you and your fam :) i love you veryyyyy much!! and keep up the good work . :)

Anonymous said...

hey klarissa and folks. hope you guys are having an awesome time. tell my sister and everyone else from LS hello for me. i really wish i could be there...i definitely hope to summer staff sometime in the future. have a super summer.

john murray