Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Greetings From Jamaica!

WE FINALLY MADE IT!
Hello everybody and greetings from Harmons, Jamaica. We all made it and we are happy to report to our readers.
Well to begin, this blog is run by the Won By One To Jamaica Summer Staff. There are eight of us who will be involved in writing, and our names are found to the right of this (and all other) entries. Anyway, to qualify for Summer Staff we all needed to satisfy the prerequisite of visiting Jamaica at least once before, you know, so we don't get lost : ) While we are down here, our jobs will be to help out the Americans who come to experience life here in Harmons, Jamaica (which is a small village in central Jamaica in the mountains and is pretty secluded from the rest of society), and to serve the community itself. We have jobs that all eight of us are personally going to be in charge of such as worship leader, store manager...etc...all that fun stuff. To say the least, we are all VERY EXCITED to be here.
So here's how we got here...
On Friday, May 23, 2008, all of us met in DuBois, PA, for a Staff retreat during which we began to prepare ourselves for our trip and got to know each other very well. Chris Whitehead is our spiritual guide for the summer, and we would all like to give him a big THANK YOU for the time he has and will be spending with us! Full-time Staff Josh Shaffer and Loyd Jackson were also there to bring all of us together spiritually, mentally, and of course physically.
After our retreat, on May 27, 2008, we finally left the states for the summer and landed in Jamaica. Then we took the long bus drive to our beloved Harmons, where we will essentially be living for the next couple of months among the locals, sharing, working, and living with them.
Right now we are all currently preparing ourselves and the Harmony House for the first group, which arrives this coming Monday. We are highly anticipating their arrival and we are all hopin' and prayin' for a safe journey for them. Can't wait see you guys!
Anyway, in all seriousness, we would like to thank all of you for your continuous prayers and support. Without any of that, this ministry would not be able to accomplish the things that we did and are anticipating to do this summer and beyond.
We would also like to thank everybody so much for reading this, and we would ask you to please keep checking in every couple of days for updates! Please leave comments if you wish, we are more than happy to answer any and all of your questions!
With Love!
The Won By One To Jamaica 2008 Summer Staff!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO MCKENZIE!!! BE NICE TO YOUR NEW FRIENDS AND TO THE JAMIACANS. I TYPE IN CAPS LOCKS BECAUSE IM EXCITED? I LOST MY IPOD. SO I ORDERED A NEW ONE. PREY FOR ME. I PREY FOR YOU AND ALL YOUR TEAMS DOWN THERE. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. LOVE YOUR BROTHER BRETTTTT??

Anonymous said...

Hi Kenz. Liv (here visiting) yelled "Last one upstairs is a rotten papaya," so she must have gotten in a tropical mood looking at you guys on the web page. We will check back often, and hope there are lots of pictures and videos! Love from Fukudome fans

Anonymous said...

What up Kenzie? Just got done watching the Jamaica Trip Week 1 youtube video. Could you pick me up some chicken feet when you come back? They look pretty tasty. Glad to hear you made it safe and sound and hope all is well. The Cubs are hot fire lately, won 7 in a row! I will check back often and continue to work with Brett on his spelling issues. Later homie

chelsea said...

Hello BFF!!! I am already missing you very very much even though I am having a great time in Texas. I am so proud of what you are doing in Jamaica and I know you will be so very very blessed for sacrificing your summer to serve the Lord. I think there should be more people like you in this world and less people like me...haha j/k, I don't think I am that bad of a person! I miss you and I love you and even though I want you to come home really bad, I know the Jamaicans need you way more than I need you! You are always in my prayers...
*Chelsea*

Anonymous said...

Hey Kenzie!!!!! i miss more than you even know... i wish you were with us i already have a funny story to tell you...chels gave my number out to some hot cowboys on the road it was funny... i hope you are having a wonderful time ...i am praying for you that you come home safe to us... well you have a wonderful time and be good...dont do anything that i wouldnt do ;)... i love and miss you tons... love, chelsea fink **hugs from home**

Denise Lash said...

Thank you to everyone who helped make Klarissas birthday awesome! I am looking forward to meeting all of you in person in just over a month! You are all special to me cuz you are special to Klarissa! Praying for each of you to experience God in a fresh, new way every day.
Denise

Anonymous said...

hey summer Staff! I am so excited to see where God leads each one of you! I was on summer staff o5 and 06! I will add each one of you to my pray list. Days can get long and hot, but such a blessing. I hold the jamaicans and the experiance i had working on staff close to my heart and i know each one of you will be such a blessing in these Jamaicans lives! My biggest peice of advice would be trust God everyday and enjoy each and every moment because the summer goes by fast! You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

Ashley Ziolko

Anonymous said...

McKenzie - We're so glad to see you're up and running! We'll be watching this site closely to follow your adventures and journeys, struggles and victories. We're all there with you, kiddo! This week we're praying specifically for you and all your group to find time to rest among all the excitement.

Pat & McKenzie Oregon
and all your friends at Holly Springs BF.

Anonymous said...

macky- you got quite the fan club going on. i hope your having a groood summer. i prey forin you. i read your letter you sent home to my mom and dad. it was impeccable. Gods omnipotence truly shows in your voyage to the caribians. love your brother brett